Thursday, January 24, 2013

6. Taiyaki debate




This time I want to introduce to funny event for Taiyaki. This event happened to one person’s remark. This person name is Tsuruo Ando. He was novelist in Showa era.
Here, I introduce Tsuruo Ando.



 Tsuruo Ando

Tsuruo Ando was born in 1908. Real name is Tsuruo Hanajima. His father was 8th generation of Gidayuu. Gidayuu is one kind of ballad drama. Gidayuu certify for  important intangible cultural heritage. He grew up in such an environment. He became a writer of Naoki prize. This time’s debate caused by such him.

One newspaper article was published on Yomiuri newspaper in 1953.
Title is “Ajinamono (Things taste)”. This topic had been serialized in this newspaper. The contents of the series were something like this. Celebrities in their respective fields introduce delicious food. Incidentally, He was known as a critic entertainment. Until then had been introduced only luxury food and shop, well known store. However He introduced different strains food. It was a neighborhood candy shop’s Taiyaki.

“We didn’t say that bad or good of Taiyaki. This price is only ten yen. I taught that human honesty by Taiyaki.”

He said after that this episode. So, I tried to translate for English this episode.

“The society has such a custom at that time. 
This society was not a legitimate. People blame to others for it. I would say it, for example. 
Anko is not in the tail of the Taiyaki. This things cause society. Society is bad. Taiyaki shop’s owner is not bad in any way. This means just that.
The shop is located for Kodate alley. This alley is small and dreary. This shop is engaged elderly couple. I thought that this Taiyaki bought a souvenir of my children. I had to find a stool in the shop. And I sat along with my wife. Then, Anko had plenty to tail of Taiyaki. I was impressed and surprised. Since the war, I have never eaten Taiyaki that
 Anko is in tail. I praised the master. Hereupon,
 the master said this word.

Wakaba's dish


“I want to say that this things. You was told it to me now. I was worth coming to the Anko in tail of Taiyaki to hard. Thank you very much, sir”

He had tears in his face workmanlike in Tokyo. And this shop name is Wakaba.”

Tsuruo Ando felt the sincerity of the human by this episode. Therefore he wrote this episode. However, received many refute opinions. Famous an objection was Kajiro Yamamoto. He was a film director. And he was famous gourmet. Why was he refuted? The reason was that he had to favor the Naniwaya. Naniwaya’s taiyaki and Wakaba’s taiyaki were different types. And Mr.Yamamoto and Naniwaya’s owner Mr.Kanbe friendship were deep. This debate became a controversy involved the media at that time.
Taiyaki shop Wakaba had became famous in the wake of this debate.
And noe is called “Tokyo Big there” sequence “Yanagiya in Ningyocho” and “Total upsteam of Naniwaya in Azabu”.
Tsuruo Ando said later such a thing.

“Also before or after, there was nothing that affected the society in the text which has been written by me.”

Thank you for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment